Wednesday, December 16, 2009

the city, a train and a sprain

the city
Two weekends ago I headed off to NYC to visit my favoritest brother who lives in Brooklyn. This was only my second trip to the big city; although many trips have been planned and then never taken place due to my killer pregnancies. I was determined to get there this time during my very brief lull of relief from severe hyperemesis and before the so-much-pain-I-can't-walk phase. So I packed up a suitcase full of drugs and my picc line and I were off. [Along with Marla & Justin, Mooms & Pops, and Aunt Jan & Uncle Stu]. This was unbelievably Aunt Jan's first trip to the city (she's a world traveler, I thought she'd been before)! She was disappointed that everyone was so nice & helpful; that is not what she was led to believe about people in the city.

I decided that I didn't feel like lugging my camera around with me [like it's so big?], so Justin is my photog from the trip. You can see some of his amazing shots here and here. [I know there is a ton of photos of Marla in these photos, and I am barely in any of them, but I guess I can't complain, right?...Thanks a lot Just.]

Highlights:
-the cute coffee shop where I got to try my first Flat White ever! (Mar & Just's favorite drink in New Zealand).
-visiting the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
-so, so much amazing food [I think all we did on our trip was eat & walk. Uncle Stu wore his pedometer and day one we walked 9 miles, day two, 7 miles].
-seeing the city dressed up for Christmas
-riding in a taxi for the first time
-riding the Staten Island Ferry and seeing the Statue of Liberty...Hey, it was my first time; I can be a typical tourist.
-hanging out with my little brover and seeing his cute cat!
-hanging out with my fresh air brother, Cosheem! [um, I just realized I don't know how to spell his name, is that right?]

the train
We took a train into the city and I would highly recommend it. So much more room and less stressful than air travel. I think that's the first time I've taken a train since I was kid; and that was way up in Canada - and when you flushed the toilets, they flushed right on to the tracks! That's the only thing I remember about that train ride. Oh no, I did take a brief train ride in Alaska on our honeymoon. So guess this was my third rail trip. However, you might want to avoid the train diving that I tried out at the end of our trip, doesn't seem to end well as you can see from the photos below.

the sprain

Shoot, I think my mom sent a picture of this to my grandma - did she even know I had a tatoo...so busted.

Yup, both sides of the ankle, up the leg...

and down to my toes.

The offending train (shot by Justin of course).

I must also add that shortly after my graceful fall off the train, my mom said to Marla, "Oh Marla, why couldn't you have fallen off the train?". Haa...so great. This was said in jest for those thinking horrible thoughts about my mooms, and it's only because everything always go wrong for me medically, especially lately. Makes me laugh though!! And then later on, Justin said, "I'm just trying to think of how your mom's prayers go...Please be with all my kids and keep them safe, but if something does have to happen, please let it be one of the other three and not Manda." Haa...

5 comments:

  1. oh my WORD!
    that bruise is ridiculous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is just awful.
    are you really the pierce golden child? too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. show off.
    [i get migraines, is that not good enough for mother...]

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...