Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mocha Fudge Cake


I am not a huge fan of chocolate cake. It's more the texture than the taste. (I don't like the spongey-ness of it. The fudgier the cake, the better it is.) However, as a baker, I know I need to have really good chocolate cakes in my repertoire. So I make and I bake, even if it's not my favorite. This cake is still more on the spongey side in my opinion, but it's very, very good, so I'll forgive it for that. I also love that it's a "cheater" cake - it uses a mix with some add ins! (After making 'from scratch' cakes for so long, I was like, hey - this is great!) It has a mocha cream in it that's soo good and there's hot fudge in the frosting so that makes it one of my favorite chocolate frostings. And you can't really tell from these pictures, but this makes one giant cake. Very impressive.
(I first made this cake for Justin when Fabienne came home from the hospital. People had been bringing them meals - mostly vegetarian for Marla - and so I made Justin a chocolate cake, which he prefers. Best sister-in-law ever, right?
)



Mocha Fudge Cake
Ingredients:
For the cake:
1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (5.1 ounce*) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup strong coffee
1 1/4 cups semisweet mini chocolate chips

For the mocha cream:
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons white sugar
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 tablespoon warm water

For the fudge buttercream frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup hot fudge topping
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


To make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and dust with cocoa powder two 8-inch cake pans. In an electric mixer, beat together the cake, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and coffee. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cakes thoroughly in pans.

To make the mocha cream: Dissolve coffee granules in warm water. Cool. With an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat whipping cream and sugars together in mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Add coffee to whipped cream and beat in. (Keep refrigerated)

To make the frosting: Cream together the butter with the shortening. Add the cocoa to the powdered sugar and add to the creamed mixture, beating well. Add heavy cream and mix well. Add the hot fudge topping and the vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and creamy. (Add more powdered sugar for thicker frosting, add more cream for thinner frosting).

To assemble the cake, slice both cakes horizontally. (I use one of these…they are great! However, I don't know what on earth I was doing with these cake layers - they were a little off.) Place one layer on cake plate, spread a generous amount of the mocha cream on cake (You might want to pipe a ring of frosting around the edge of the cake first to keep the mocha cream contained). Repeat layers. Frost cake with fudge buttercream frosting.

*I sometimes have a hard time finding the right size pudding mixes, so I’ll just use what I can find, it doesn’t matter if it’s a little less or little more.




Source: adapted from Allrecipes: Cake, Mocha Cream, Frosting

5 comments:

  1. so, SO yummy. and i don't even like chocolate cake. we'll taste test your goods any time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good, Manda! But I'm back to 4F so trying to hold off on any baking for a while!

    I'd ask what's new with you guys... but just read your randomness post! Will be praying that Levi starts to sleep again!

    Hugs,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks... amazing. Can you mail one to Michigan? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend made this cake and brought me a slice.
    The only reason I didn't lick the plate was b/c I was @ the office and afraid someone would see me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haa! So glad you liked this cake!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...