Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fauxstess {Hostess} Cupcakes



We celebrated some birthdays this past Monday at work (and by work I mean my volunteer job at the church). My friend Heidi requested these cupcakes and I was excited to try them. I paired together a couple different recipes to come up with this. I liked the chocolate cupcake base, but I would probably try it with a different recipe next time; I wasn't head over heels for it. The cream filling is very good, it's a 7 minute frosting recipe, but it was not what I was expecting. I had never made it before and wanted to give it a try, but it's pretty much just marshmallow fluff. Didn't know that. I was looking for more of a whipped frosting. Everyone loved it though. The original recipe for the ganache called for bittersweet chocolate but I thought that might be too stong, and I knew Heidi preferred milk chocolate. I wasn't sure if milk chocolate would be too sweet though so I ended up frosting some with milk chocolate and some with semi-sweet (you can see the color difference in the photo below). They were both very good, but I would say if you're trying to get the closest taste to the original Hostess Cupcakes, use milk chocolate.





(We also celebrated Pastor Greg's birthday, but I could not get his name to turn out - I think the frosting was too soft at that point! So that's why his cupcake isn't pictured).

Fauxstess Cupcakes
makes 30-ish cupcakes

For the cupcakes
:
2 sticks of butter, room temp
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temp
1 1/2 cups flour*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

For the cream filling (Seven Minute Frosting)**:
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

For the ganache:
1/2 cup cream
8 ounces milk or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened


To make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined. Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a small sized bowl and whisk to combine. Measure out the milk and vanilla and stir to combine. Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry. Scoop batter into cupcake liners, filling about 1/2 full. Bake cupcakes for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

While waiting for cupcakes to cool, combine filling ingredients with a pinch of salt in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and beat with a handheld electric mixer at high speed until frosting is thick and fluffy, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and continue to beat until slightly cooled. Reserve 1/2 cup of the filling to use for piping the swirls on top of the cupcakes at the end.

Once cupcakes are completely cooled, use the cone method (this is a great tutorial if you don't know what the cone method is) to fill with filling. I like my cupcakes with a lot of filling, so I made my "cones" as big as I could.

Once all cupcakes are filled, make the ganache. In a small saucepan, heat cream until steaming. Remove from the heat, add chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter and stir until smooth. Frost top of cupcakes with ganache.

Fill a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip (I used a Wilton 2 tip) with the cream filling and pipe swirls across the center of each cupcake. If your kitchen is warm, you may need to refrigerate the cupcakes for 10 minutes to set the frosting. (My kitchen is a cool 62º in the winter so I just left them on the counter and that worked).

* I used cake flour instead of all purpose flour.

** I doubled this when I made it, but I had a lot left over, so I wouldn't think you would need to double it (and my cupcakes were very well filled).

Source: Chocolate Cupcakes - Cupcake Bake Shop, Filling & (Adapted) Ganache - Beantown Baker

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh those are SO cute!

    vword: slabe
    as in, slabe me one of those!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...