Thursday, September 1, 2011

Beepa

My Grampa passed away yesterday. My heart is full of sadness. How we will miss him!

Some memories of "Beepa" to share:

One of my favorite memories is this camping trip we took in 2004. Mike picked an "easy" mountain for us to climb in the Adirondacks, half a mile up - half a mile down. Except he got his mountains mixed up and Goodnow Mountain is almost 4 miles round trip...which we didn't realize until we were already hiking. About half way up, my parents turned around with Gramma to go back to the car but Grampa would not hear of it. He was going to the summit. There was rain. Dusk. Slippery rocks. That was not going to stop this 86 year old! I love that I got to do this hike with Grampa and have this snap shot on the summit with him.

Bingo Bango! {A silly little rhyme Gramps used to sing to us...Uncle Craigie - can you take this over with my boys? Someone needs to be doing bingo bango with them!}

The birthday phone call. Gramps & Gram would call on birthdays and sing and Grampa would play the harmonica.
{Like this...this is from Linc's birthday two years - I only caught the very end of it}


Hearing Grampa yell "hark!" at us noisy grandkids.

Every year at Bannister Christmas, Grampa would whip up his homemade pineapple icecream!

The camp fires. Grampa collecting more and more and more wood for those fires. Enough to heat out the whole campground!

Being in his art studio with him. It was such a special treat to go in there, see all of his paintings. Watch him paint. {This is the painting he did of our house - a gift he gave us on our first anniversary}


His winnie-the-pooh laugh.

Equal & salt. Grampa's two best pals - he never went anywhere without them!

All of Grampa's MacGyver-style contraptions {and his love of duct tape}.

The love and pride he had for his big family! Here he is with a few of his great-grands:



December 31, 1918 - August 31, 2011

There are just so many memories with Grampa. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful, close-knit family. Thank you, sweet readers, for the love, support and kind words you have left me and the prayers for our family.

What about you dear family, any special Grampa memories to share?

10 comments:

  1. You are so blessed to have so many memories! Today he is with Jesus, and you have to rejoice for him at least about that. I'm so sorry for the sadness that his passing has left. I will continue to pray for you to feel His comfort in this time.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mand,this is so touching!!! I feel tears in my eyes thinking of the short time that I have been in this family and how blessed I am to have known grandpa, and yes I said grandpa. Thats all I have ever called him, he was the type of man that you would want every grandpa to be. Wonderful memories that all of you have made with him. God bless all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved Papa 7 years ago and I still feel that hole in my life. Praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 'gramps' was over just yesterday, helping me fix a pig fence. I can not imagine this world without him. And yet as is the nature of things, I will one day have to face this great loss... as you are now. I am so sorry for your loss, Manda. Lifting you up. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that last one was from me... Hanna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. your grandpa was so wonderful! my grandpa was your grandma's brother (Lindy)-- so hard to keep track of second cousins and relations in this huge family :)

    anyway, here is one of my favorite memories of uncle roy:
    it was my senior year of college (07) and my sister and friends and i went to FL on spring break and spent a few days visiting with aunt doris and uncle roy. we went to steak & shake, flea markets, and stayed up late playing games. one morning uncle roy and i were both up early and he brought me out to the garage to his computer where he had started writing his autobiography. he had me read it out loud and would interject with explanations and comments as we went along. it was sooo, soo special and i especially loved the first few pages about when he met aunt doris, it was so beautiful.

    praying for you all.
    xox,
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so sorry for your loss! rip grampa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing there memories - Glad you got the video and Lincoln saying Thanks - Let the memories live on in your hearts - As you said,you are so Blessed with your family... Love to you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Manda,
    I'm so sorry that you've lost your Grandpa. I will continue to lift all of you up in prayer. Thank God that He is sovereign and we can trust Him in all circumstances of our lives. I'm praying that He gives you the peace, hope, comfort and strength that only He can provide!
    Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just stumbled across your blog and am your newest follower. Just want you to know I am so sorry for your loss. I know it so well and its such a strange aching. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...